One-click subscribe for info about the Fellowship, selection cycle, and resources for aspiring entrepreneurs.
This list is only contacted during our fall application season. You will have the opportunity to opt-out before each cycle.
The Fellowship for innovators, instigators, pioneers, and rebels.
Application Deadline was Tuesday, October 25th at 2:00pm (14:00) ET.
Best of luck to all who applied!
BUILDING BLOCKS & CORE COMPETENCY DEVELOPMENT
SEED FUNDING & A DEDICATED, HANDS‑ON STAFF
LIFE-LONG COMMUNITY OF SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURS & MENTORS
A 360° Model of Support
- A dedicated Echoing Green portfolio manager to assist in the development of an Individualized Fellow Plan, access to technical expertise and pro bono partnerships to help grow their organization, and support from Echoing Green chaplains
- Leadership development, peer mentorship, and targeted networking opportunities
- A community of like-minded social entrepreneurs, public service leaders, and industry leaders including the Echoing Green network of over 700 Fellows working in sixty countries all over the world.
- A stipend of $80,000 for individuals (or $90,000 for two-person partnerships) paid in four equal installments over two years
- A health insurance stipend and yearly professional development stipend
- For more detailed information, review our FAQ on our current recoverable grants.
A Selective & Supportive Process
Truer Indicators of Potential
Great leaders are more than just a business plan. Successful applicants not only present an innovative way of addressing social issues, but also explain why they as individuals have what it takes to succeed. Echoing Green is not a grant-making organization. We are a fellowship program because we believe in the importance of the individual social entrepreneur as well as his/her project. As such, we look at both the applicant and the applicant’s idea.
- Purpose / Passion
Show us that you care deeply about this issue or community and help us understand why. What experiences have compelled you to apply? Show us how your work excites you and keeps you motivated every day.
Social entrepreneurship is tough; you will inevitably face obstacles along the way. Demonstrate that you have bounced back or have the capacity to do so, as well as the ability to foresee any challenges.
You are the CEO of something big and important. Show us that you can lead this organization toward its goals. What unique skills and experiences do you have that will help you succeed? Show us how you are constantly learning, reinventing, and exploring new things. Highlight your achievements in the field, as well as your experience in the geographic region.
- Ability to Attract Resources
Show us that you can attract money, people, and other resources to your cause. What resources have you attracted to your cause in the past? Demonstrate to us that others are confident in your ability to make lasting change. This does not mean that you need to be the person on stage at a 10,000 person rally. Some leaders are more unassuming and still able to get others to care about their cause and take action.
We are looking for ideas that have never been tried before. Explain to us how your approach is different from things that have been tried in the past.
To be interested in your solution, Echoing Green must first understand why the issue your project will tackle is imperative. Explain to us the problem you want to solve and why it matters. On a global scale, why is this issue important?
- Potential for Big, Bold Impact
Show us how your project will directly impact many lives or change a big system. Or, will your solution set an important example that it will have bold impact indirectly? Some models are so innovative and influential that they change big systems by being replicated by others. Explain to us what sets your organization apart and why you believe it is influential enough to be replicated.
- A Good Business Model
Great ideas fall flat without a solid plan. Your start-up plan – budget, timeline, staffing – should be well thought-out. Be clear and concise in relating the details of how your organization will run. You do not have to have solved everything. We just want to see that you are considering these questions thoughtfully and realistically.
A Note About Innovation
Innovation is an important element of the Echoing Green Fellowship. What does Echoing Green mean by innovation?
- An innovative idea is novel, it’s often untried, and it challenges the assumptions made by previous organizations working in the field.
- Innovative ideas can build upon or make improvements to an existing model, or they can create their own unique solutions which have never been tried before.
- Organizations utilizing a pre-existing model would benefit from elements of innovation. For example, bringing a traditional model to new locations, communities, or organizations which they have not been historically related to.
- Innovative ideas bring about dramatic change, not just incremental change. Tell us how your approach will lead to increased change over other models or ideas.
In order to be eligible for an Echoing Green Fellowship, the applicant must be:
- Over 18 years old
- Fluent in English
- Able to commit a full 40 hour work week to their organization.
In order to be eligible for an Echoing Green Fellowship, the organization must be:
- The original idea of the applicant(s)
- In its start-up phase, usually within the first two years of operation
- Independent and autonomous
There are often some misconceptions about what types of organizations are eligible for the Echoing Green Fellowship. Here is some clarification about organizations that are eligible:
- An organization can be either a non-profit, a for-profit, or hybrid.
- An organization does not only have to be run by one individual. Partnerships can apply for a Fellowship
- Organizations still in the idea phase are eligible
There are some programs we will not fund. Types of organizations that are not eligible to apply:
- Students, scholarships, or research projects
- Lobbying or faith-based organizations
- Existing organizations which have grown past their start-up phase
Frequently Asked Questions
Looking for more information?
- Application Deadline is Tuesday, October 25th at 2:00pm (14:00) ET.
- See our resource of Commonly Asked Questions About the Fellowship and Application.
- Please note that we do not accept any phone inquiries regarding the Fellowship application.
- If your questions are not answered on any of these pages, please email email@example.com.